Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month
We are living in an age of distracted driving. How many times do you pass someone on the road and see them looking at, holding or talking on their cell phone? So do everyone a favor and put your phone down, be a courteous driver and watch out for bicyclists and motorcyclists. #SharetheRoad, after all, it belongs to everyone.
Motorcycle Safety Awareness
It doesn’t matter if you are driving a car, motorcycle or moped, we all have the same rights and duties. To learn more, check out the Florida Motorcycle Handbook. Are you thinking about getting a motorcycle? Then we recommend learning more about Floridas approved motorcycle safety courses, by visiting, Florida Rider Training Program.
Tips for Motorists
- Never share a lane with a motorcycle. By law, the motorcyclist is permitted to the entire lane.
- Be Aware! Always look out for motorcyclists before pulling into an intersection or changing lanes.
- Did you know it is difficult to gauge the speed of a motorcycle? So be extra careful, they may appear farther away than they are.
- Dont tailgate, motorcycles have the ability to stop quicker than a car or truck (its simple physics, so give yourself some room to brake if necessary).
- Did you know Motorcyclists often slow down by downshifting? When a motorcyclist downshifts, it doesnt activate their brake light (another reason to give yourself some space).
- Did you know the force of the wind gust can cause the rider to lose control? Please, never pass a motorcyclist with only a few feet of space.
- Dont speed up or change lanes when being passed by a motorcycle.